The Daughters of Penelope was founded in 1929 through the effort of Ahepan Emmanuel Apostolides, who formed “EOS” Chapter #1 in San Francisco, California, with 25 charter members; Alexandra Apostolides Sonenfeld became the first Grand President of the Daughters of Penelope in 1931.The head of Penelope in ancient headdress symbolizing friendship and womanhood, which is the foundation of life, home and country, identifies the Order. The cross on the Daughters’ emblem symbolizes Greece, and the crossed sabers are the shield of Greece. The eagle symbolizes the United States.
The Daughters of Penelope is a non-profit organization open to all Christian women of good moral character. The organization is an independent non-profit entity, although we are a family member of the cornerstone organization known as the American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA).
Joanne Dalber, President
Eleni Manolis, Vice-President
Maria Sempepos, Recording Secretary
Nickee Musgrove, Treasurer
Elizabeth Tsimekles, Chairwoman of the Board of Governors